Saturday at AT&T Stadium did not disappoint. From the first game to the last, there are moments that will go down in Texas High School football history. 

Denton Guyer 50, Cedar Hill 41 

Tail of two halfs. Cedar Hill looked flat out unstoppable as they went up 27-7 over the Wildcats heading into half time. Guyer could not move the ball and the Horns’ defensive plan was working well against and the high flying offense. 

Going into the late part of the third quarter, Cedar Hill had a commanding 41-14 lead, and Guyer looked to have no answer. 


Guyer got two out of three onside-kick attempts, reeled off 36 unanswered points, and Eli Stowers showed why he is a Texas A&M commit. Along with Kaedric Cobb’s incredible run performance of over 200 yards, Guyer showed something yesterday that they’ve had flashes of when needed — grit.

The Wildcats will need a lot more grit as they continue to push deep in the playoffs. Up next is Arlington on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. at the Ford Center in Frisco. 

Duncanville 59, Flower Mound 13

Not much to report on for Flower Mound. It needed a perfect game to pull off the upset of the year, and that was not the case. Flower Mound was riddled with turnovers, and Duncanville took advantage of them. 

Flower Mound finished the season 8-4 and at times, looked great as it marched down the field. Duncanville’s defense is as advertised. 

For the Panthers, they didn’t need their passing game. 626 yard of total offense, 535 came by the ground. Duncanville is impressive and loaded. 

Back up running back Jayvyn Square had over 150 yards in the second half as Duncanville went with second and third team players most of the second half. 

Up next for Duncanville is Arlington Martin with a noon kickoff at AT&T Stadium. 

Red Oak 35, Denton Braswell 30

Another Denton team highlighted a game at AT&T Stadium, and another Denton team had a tail of two halfs. 

Red Oak has speed — lots of speed. It displayed that speed with four huge pass plays in the first half. One such play went 99 yards through the air and there was no catching these wideouts. Braswell looked like they had no answer for this passing game as the Hawks had 335 yards passing in the first half alone. 

At the half, Red Oak led Braswell 28-7 as the Hawks added a late touchdown off a screen pass with just 11 seconds remaining.

Second Half 

If Braswell has shown anything this year, it’s that it does not back down from a fight.  

Braswell had just 143 total yards in the first half, and it ended the game with 429 total yards, with 322 of this coming from the arm and hands of Greyson Thompson, who ended the season as a 3,000 yard passer, and wide receiver Jacob Hernandez, who finished the night with 11 catches for 196 yards. 

The story of the second half was Braswell’s defense and special teams. After giving up 357 total yards in the first half, the Bengals only gave up 93 total yards in the second. For the special teams, the Bengals recovered an onside kick in the third quarter, and three plays later scored making the score 35-21 with 14 points in a matter of 20 seconds for Braswell. 

Braswell’s furious comeback fell short as Red Oak’s defense came up huge on a fourth-and-long, keeping any hopes of a last second victory for the Bengals. 

Braswell goes home with a 9-3 final record in its young history, but one thing is for certain, head coach Cody Moore is building what looks like another power house program coming out of Denton ISD. 

For Red Oak and its high flying, speedy offense, it takes on Aledo in the regional semifinals Friday at AT&T Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7pm.