The vote for the 2020 defensive player of the year was one of our most interesting award votes.
In the nominee process, we had 6 nominees with the same exact amount of nominations, leading us to include 15 players in this poll. From the start of the poll, Peyton Williams from Rockwall-Heath was leading by a large margin, followed by Kendrick Blackshire. They stayed number one and two throughout the voting until the last day.
Williams went into the final day with over a 150 vote lead, but Aidan Siano came from near the bottom of voting and skyrocketed to a 150+ vote lead. Williams fans responded by pushing Williams back within 50 votes, but then the Prosper football family made a huge push on the last evening of voting to secure Siano the award.
2020 Fan Vote Texas HS Football Defensive Player of the Year:
Aidan Siano, Prosper
Aidan was named the 2020 District 5-6A Defensive Player of the Year. He helped lead the Prosper Eagles to an 8-4 season in which they made it to the Regional Finals, where they lost in triple-overtime to Denton Guyer, 30-24. He finished the season with 118 tackles, 24 tackles-for-loss, 4 sacks, and 1 interception.
Here is the final fan vote:
Who was the Best Defensive Player in 2020 in Texas HS Football?
- Aidan Siano, Prosper (37%, 774 Votes)
- Peyton Williams, Rockwall-Heath (22%, 465 Votes)
- Kendrick Blackshire, Duncanville (7%, 158 Votes)
- Jatavion Sanders, Denton Ryan (5%, 107 Votes)
- Creed Carter, Sanger (3%, 71 Votes)
- Clayton Smith, Texarkana Texas (3%, 68 Votes)
- Cole Lemons, Gunter (3%, 66 Votes)
- Shemar Turner, DeSoto (3%, 63 Votes)
- Tunmise Adeleye, Katy Tompkins (3%, 61 Votes)
- Ed Bobino, Huntsville (3%, 56 Votes)
- Cole Lemons, Gunter (2%, 50 Votes)
- Isiah Hall, Lake Worth (2%, 48 Votes)
- Jett Jones, Gilmer (2%, 43 Votes)
- Jadon Scarlett, Coram Deo Academy (2%, 42 Votes)
- Christian Gerlach, Devine (2%, 39 Votes)
Total Voters: 2,089