One game is all that separates the Atascocita Eagles and Lake Travis Cavaliers from a shot at the Class 6A Division I Title. The game, which is to take place at San Antonio’s Alamodome, is being tabbed as a shootout in the making, with both offenses coming in red hot off impressive wins. The defenses are holding their own as well, so fans from both schools will be hoping this is a Texas high school football classic in the making.
Here’s how these two sides matchup for this highly anticipated matchup in the Alamo City.
Players to watch:
· Lake Travis QB Charlie Brewer: The Cavalier play caller, who is coming from a pedigree with brother Michael Brewer winning two state championships for the program, is hungry to solidify his legacy with a title of his own. Racking up superb numbers with 3,303 yards passing for 45 touchdowns thus far, only being intercepted on two occasions, the SMU commit has all the tools to play a key part in leading his team to Arlington.
· Atascocita QB Daveon Boyd: Not to be overlooked is Eagles QB Daveon Boyd. Throughout postseason play, the senior has arguably led his team to the semifinals with some dazzling displays as a dual-threat. With 38 total TD’s amassed this year, Boyd is looking to steal the show from his counterpart once again, hoping to take his team to the summit of Texas high school football.
· Lake Travis DT Sammy Ochoa: After missing last season to an injury suffered off the playing field, Sammy Ochoa has been a renaissance for the Lake Travis defense. Adding a presence to an outstanding pass rush, the senior could make it a disruptive evening for Boyd in the backfield.
· Atascocita S Justen Campbell: Big play capability is all you need to know about with the Eagles’ Justen Campbell. The senior has recorded seven takeaways by himself, with five of those interceptions and two fumbles. With a passer and wide receiving core that Lake Travis has, Campbell could perhaps prove his value and provide the spark that shuts down this high-flying Lake Travis offense.
· There is a significant travel difference for the two teams, with Lake Travis having to only travel approximately 92 miles as opposed to Atascocita traveling almost 220 miles to San Antonio.
· The winner of this game will face the winner of two of the state’s undefeated in the Allen Eagles (14-0) vs. The Woodlands Highlanders (14-0) in the state championship held at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, home of the Dallas Cowboys.
· With Lake Travis holding the third spot in the Texas AP State Rankings, the Eagles are not far behind holding the ninth spot.
Key to victory:
As mentioned before, it is no surprise both offenses will be raring to go on Saturday afternoon, so the key for both sides will lie in the defenses. With Lake Travis allowing three points last week to Austin Westlake, if their momentum were to continue, Atascocita may have a tough day ahead. Atascocita has shown resilience as well, winning in overtime last week, so the mental toughness of the Eagles could prove to pay dividends on the big stage.
A trip to Jerry’s World in on the line and these two are ready to put it all on the line. Whatever the result is, a tough test lay ahead for the state title of Class 6A.