College Station Holds Off Georgetown To Advance To Regional Round

| | ,

Photo: Scott McDonald/TexasHSFootball

WACO, Texas — Georgetown High School started off clicking on all cylinders against the Cougars from College Station, but football is a four quarter affair and this game needed every second those four quarters had to offer to determine a winner.

College Station (10-2) was able to swing the momentum in their favor throughout the second half and eventually came away with a 34-31 victory and an area title at WISD Stadium.

Marquez Perez leaped over his offensive line, with five seconds left before halftime to give the Cougars their first touchdown of the game. They went into halftime down by three 16-13, but they were able to keep the game close with the foot of Alan Guerrieri.

The Blue Storm defense of (9-3) Georgetown held College Station to just one touchdown and forced two field goals, while allowing 299 total yards offense during the first half of the ballgame. Paul Saucedo jumped a Perez pass for a 49 yard pick six, that extended the Eagles lead 16-3 with 4:21 in the second quarter. College Station drove the ball 69 yards on their opening possession of the game, but Perez was stuffed as he attempted to convert a 4th and 2 from the eight yard line.

The two teams coming combined for three total field goals during the first half, as Davis Northcutt hit a 27 – yarder for Georgetown and Alan Guerrieri connected on kicks from 32 and 33 yards out.

“It’s very important to have a reliable kicker at this level, Alan played great for us all game,” College Station Coach Steve Huff said.

The Eagles lone offensive touchdown of the first half came on a QB keeper by Cooper Bell from two yards away, Georgetown took the lead 7-0 on the play.

The Cougars defense wasn’t looking to be outshined by the Eagles and they were able to acquire two sacks during the first half. Trey Barfield was able to sack Bell on a 3rd and 10, that forced the Eagles to punt the ball away and Marquise Conchola brought Bell down forcing a 2nd and 17 with 1:54 left in the second quarter.

“Our defense stepped up big in the second half,” Huff continued. “We were able to keep drives alive and pick up chunk plays, Marquez Perez was able to get loose in the running game and our offensive line did a lot better job.”

Perez was able to weave through the Georgetown defense during the third quarter and he found the end zone with his feet twice during the quarter. The Eagles missed a 29-yard field goal attempt with 9:37 in the third quarter and College Station began their march down the field.

The Cougars fumbled on an option play, but Perez was Johnny on the spot and pounced on the loose ball to regain possession. A couple of plays later Perez connected with Jaelin Campbell on a 48-yard bomb, that gave the Cougars a fresh set of downs from the Georgetown 17 yard line. The Cougars capped the drive off with a Marquez Perez 9 yard touchdown run that gave College Station their first lead of the game.

Georgetown would never reclaim the lead, however they were able to get two more touchdowns on the night. Caden Leggett ran the ball in from 4 yards out and the Eagles were successful on a two point conversion. The final touchdown for Georgetown came when Cooper Bell trotted in from the 5 yard line.

Marquez Perez showed off his big play abilities on a 97 yard quarterback keeper that put the Cougars up 27-16 with 4:58 left in the third quarter. The final touchdown of the night for College Station was a 44 yard strike from Perez to Campbell.

College Station will face Port Neches Groves next week in the regional semi finals, last season College Station was able to get the victory over PNG 52-28.

Brought to you by:

0 0 vote
Article Rating

North Texas Extends Winning Streak To Five Games With Victory Over Rice

UTEP Falls To UAB In Regular Season Finale, Finishes Season Winless

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Related Posts